Home » Support » English Language Institute: FAQs

What are the application deadlines? 

Students can apply up to one week before the program starts. Full tuition payment would be due at time of registration if registering less than one month prior to program start.   

How can I check my application status, what do the application statuses mean, and when can I expect a decision? 

You can check your application status online by logging into the Student Portal and checking the status under “My Applications”.  

Submitted: Your application has been successfully submitted. It will be reviewed shortly, and the application will change to one of the following. 

Under Review: You will receive an update on your application within a week.

Accepted: You will receive an offer letter advising you to make a tuition deposit to accept your offer. Please note, your offer letter is valid for 4 weeks.   

Denied: Your application may not meet the minimum requirements to join our program at this time. We thank you for applying to YUELI’s programs. 

How can I defer my registration to the next available cohort? 

You can complete the deferral form through the Student Portal. Please note, we do not accept deferral requests via email.   

Please ensure you have read and reviewed the deferral policy found here

Students are permitted to defer twice. Please note there are no refunds available once you have deferred (international students receiving a visa denial are exempted). Note that once you defer, you cannot then change your mind and ask to be moved back into the initial program offering. All deferrals are final. 

How can I withdraw from the program and apply for a refund? 

To withdraw from the program and find out if you are eligible for a refund, please ensure you have submitted your request before the required deadline and read the policies here

If you are an international student, please note that your program deposit is non-refundable for any reason other than visa denial. Refunds are returned to the original method of payment and payor. Please note we do not accept withdrawal requests via email. 

To submit the request, prepare the following: 

  1. Please prepare original payment receipts. If your tuition was paid from more than one source or account, you will need a copy of each payment receipt. 
  1. If your refund cannot be returned to the original payment source, you will need to provide bank details, i.e., bank address, transit number and account number for the processing of the refund transaction. 
  1. Complete the withdrawal form through the student portal. 

Once your completed refund package has been submitted, please allow:

  • Approx. 2 weeks for credit card refunds
  • 1 – 8 weeks for Convera refunds
  • 7 – 8 weeks for bank wire/transfer refunds

If we require additional information to process your refund, we will contact you. The timing of international refunds will vary depending on your bank and country. For Convera refunds, you will receive an email once the transaction is successfully processed.

How do I make a payment? 

*Please note that refunds are returned to the original method of payment and payor.   

Payments can be made as follows. 

In person: Our front desk is now open Monday to Thursday from 8:45am – 4:15pm and Friday from 10:00am – 4:15pm.  We accept debit and credit cards for payment.   

If you wish to book an appointment or see the wait times at the front desk, please download the QLess app on to your phone or use this link: https://continue.yorku.ca/qless. You will also need to complete a YUScreen check prior to coming to campus: UBIX Health Screening 

For other methods of payment, please visit our website here.   

If you are paying by bank or wire transfer, please use the information provided in the link above. Please note, York SCS bank account is not the same account as the York University bank account used for undergraduate students. Sending your payment to the wrong account may result in a 2-week delay in processing. 

Where can I find my tuition payment receipt? 

If you have not received your tuition receipt via email, you can find it on your Student Portal. Payment receipt can be found under “My Invoices” and then “Invoiced Items”.  If you pay by bank wire, please note it may take 5 to 7 business days for the payment to be received by us. If your receipts are not on your portal after 8 business days (Monday to Friday excluding holidays), please complete a payment tracking form and we will track your payment.

How much can I expect to spend on expenses other than tuition and insurance? 

Estimated costs for textbooks, personal expenses, accommodation and meals (in Canadian Dollars) can be found on your Letter of Offer.  

When do I get a tax receipt (T2202)? 

Starting calendar 2019, all designated educational institutions (DEI) are required to file a T2202, which requires the student’s Social Insurance Number (SIN). The Income Tax Act (ITA) requires the DEI to make reasonable efforts to obtain the student’s SIN.  As per instructions from CRA, students who do not provide their SIN will have nine zeros defaulted in their T2202. 

Tax receipts are prepared and issued near the end of February. In the meantime, if you intend on filing taxes, please ensure you’ve updated your student profile with your SIN number. Log in to your Student Portal, navigate to “My Profile”, and then select “Personal Information”. There will be an area to input your SIN. 
Under no circumstances will staff accept a SIN over email.  

For privacy reasons, any SIN information you previously saved will not be visible. Therefore, if you are unsure if the number saved in the SCS portal is correct, please re-enter in the SCS portal and save – the system will automatically overwrite any previous value with the most current information you save.   

Please note: You only need to provide your Social Insurance Number (SIN), if you intend to claim the tax credit for a personal Canadian Income Tax return. 

When will I receive my class schedule and orientation information? 

You will receive a welcome email approximately 1 month before the start date of your program, which will give you all the information you need to know about your orientation. Your class schedule will be available through your Student Portal closer to the start date of the program. 

When will my final grades be sent to York University for my undergraduate program? 

Results are sent during the last week of classes to clear your conditions for your York undergraduate program.   

Do I need health insurance and can I cancel? 

It is mandatory for all international students to have health insurance coverage while studying within Canada. For details on the coverage provided by our provider, GuardME, please visit the GuardMe/York SCS website here

If you purchase your insurance coverage with us (GuardME Health Insurance), your coverage date starts from the Saturday before the program start date and ends the Saturday after the program end date. If you plan to arrive in Canada prior to these dates, we strongly recommend you purchase your own insurance. You can purchase through the website. You can purchase up to 30 additional days on your policy and a minimum of $20 (non-refundable).  Please check your arrival date and the start date of your program to make sure coverage is purchased accordingly. All questions and requests for additional days should be directed to GuardME.   

If you have your own insurance coverage, you must cancel by the end of the first week of your program. Any requests received after this deadline will not be accepted. To cancel, please complete this form. We require proof of your insurance coverage spanning the entire length of your program to qualify for cancellation. Please note that your GuardME Health insurance does not cover the costs associated with pre-existing conditions. To find out more about the coverage, add additional days, submit a claim, or sign-up coverage for a dependent, please visit: GuardME Health

How can I get a Letter/Receipt/Grade Report/Letter of Enrollment? 

As part of our ongoing commitment to serve you better, we have made available some self-service options within the Student Portal. These include: 
• Obtain your Invoice / Fee receipt 
• Access your Letter of Acceptance / Letter of Enrollment / Letter of Offer 
• Download and/or email Grade Reports (Transcripts) 
• Access your Letter of Completion (which can be used for immigration) 

I would like to update/change the details (such as spelling of name, email address or home address) on my student profile: 

To make changes to your profile (update your address, correct spelling in first or last name, etc.), please log into your Student Portal and click “My Profile”. If you have any technical issues, please submit a ticket with itscs@yorku.ca