Home » Support » Funding & Payments » Foreign Credential Recognition Loan

Foreign Credential Recognition Loan

Loans for Internationally Trained Individuals

Professional education on your wish list but struggling with the financial aspect? The Foreign Credential Recognition Loan can help individuals reach their career goals with funding towards professional certification expenses.

Who qualifies for this program?

  • Canadian citizens, permanent residents or convention refugees, 18 or older, who are legally permitted to work in Canada, and who live in the Greater Toronto Area and Hamilton (GTHA)
  • People with credentials obtained outside of Canada (either post-secondary academic credentials or occupational certifications)
  • Those looking to have their credentials recognized in Canada or to train in a related or alternative career
  • People who demonstrate financial need and are unable to obtain a loan from traditional financial institutions

What programs are included at The York University School of Continuing studies?

All programs both part-time and full-time are eligible for this loan.

What expenses are covered?

The loan is designed to help students with career-related costs such as:

  • Courses and exams
  • Books and other course materials
  • Qualification assessments
  • Association fees
  • Professional certifications
  • Accreditation costs
  • Bridge training
  • Living allowance and other associated costs

How much can I borrow?

The loan is capped at $15,000. The lending agency will be able to advise on each individual case.

The Fine Print

For more information on loan rates and how to apply please visit the ACCESS Community Capital Fund website or Achēv’s Foreign Credential Recognition Loans (FCR Loans) program.