October 23, 2020 – Travel to Canada Plans for International Students
Thank you for pursuing your studies with York University.
Recently, Immigration, Refugees & Citizenship Canada (IRCC) announced that international students would be exempt from travel restrictions and will be able to travel to Canada for their studies beginning October 20, 2020 if they meet all requirements and have all authorizations for travel.
York University is very pleased to let you know that our plan has been approved by provincial authorities and that we may now begin to welcome new and welcome back returning international students to the York community.
For the Winter 2021 term, the School of Continuing Studies is offering our programs entirely online. Every effort has been put into ensuring that students will enjoy a positive learning experience from the safety of their home countries. Our IT team has tested the load times of the learning systems, tools, and resources that will be deployed with student populations located in your region. Live sessions are recorded to account for unplanned loss of connectivity.
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS AND AUTHORIZATIONS
Before you make your travel plans, please ensure you are eligible to travel in your region/area and have read the information below.
- Travellers arriving in Canada must quarantine for 14 days and comply with all requirements of the quarantine measures under the Quarantine Act.
- You must have a valid study permit or study permit approval to travel to Canada. If you do not have a full study permit approval, you may not yet travel. There is no longer a date requirement for your study permit/approval for travel.
Please check IRCC for eligibility to travel and your local Visa Application Centre. Your ability to travel will also be dependent on your local/regional/national requirements.
- You must not have any symptoms of COVID-19 in order to travel to Canada.
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO
- Read the Government of Canada’s quarantine requirements and information.
- Read the info below about quarantine arrangements for York students travelling to Canada from international locations.
- Tell us what your travel plans are (including if you do not plan to travel) using the School of Continuing Studies Quarantine Accommodation Form as soon as possible. Please complete and submit this form at least two weeks before you travel.
- Gather documents in preparation for your arrival to Toronto. We will send you a copy of your quarantine plan to present at the airport, along with a list of recommended and required documentation. If you need a letter of support for your entry to Canada, you can make this request on the Quarantine Accommodation Form as well.
- Ensure you are eligible to travel to Canada under current Canadian travel restrictions.
You must quarantine for 14 days upon your entry to Canada. You may choose to quarantine in a location of your choice that meets the specific guidelines required by the federal government for international students attending a Designated Learning Institution or you may choose the York-arranged quarantine accommodation.
If you choose to quarantine at a location of your choice:
- You will be required to present your quarantine plan to Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) at your port of entry.
- Your plan must meet federal guidelines.
- You must file your plan details with York University.
If you choose to quarantine at York’s off-campus accommodations:
- York has arranged quarantine accommodations for York students travelling to Canada from international locations at an off-campus hotel.
- Quarantine accommodations will be in hotels near Pearson International Airport.
- The University will cover the cost of the room as well as three basic meals for students each day.
- If you are travelling with family members or dependents, an additional charge will apply for each person. This charge will be $35/day per person for meals.
- If you are travelling with more than one adult staying in a room, we will book a suite for you. If you need an additional room, you will be responsible for the cost of the additional room.
- For the duration of the 14-day quarantine, you must remain in your hotel room at all times. We recommend that you bring a laptop and everything you need to feel comfortable during your entire 14-day quarantine.
- Linens (bedsheets, towels) and toiletries will be dropped off to your room (contactless) on a regular basis.
- A staff member from the University will check in with you throughout your quarantine and there will be Health and Wellness supports available to you virtually.
- Transportation from the airport to the quarantine accommodation will be provided via hotel shuttle.
- Students will be responsible for arranging their own transportation to their permanent accommodations after they complete their quarantine period.
- If you will be moving into York Undergraduate Residences, York Apartments or the QUAD, you will not be able to quarantine in your on-campus residence.
Designated Learning Institutions are required to follow additional quarantine requirements as well as all federal requirements of quarantine. This includes:
- mandatory testing;
- daily check-ins; and
- additional restrictions on the use of shared space.
These additional requirements may apply to both those choosing York’s quarantine accommodations or their own quarantine accommodation. Please see the York Quarantine Information page for further details.
QUARANTINE CONFIRMATION & DETAILS
You’ll receive more detailed instructions by email once your request has been submitted and confirmed. Specific information will be included in that email about your quarantine responsibilities and requirements.
Visit York’s Quarantine Information page for the most up-to-date information on quarantine.
I wish you safe travels.
School of Continuing Studies