Home » T2202 FAQ

Starting calendar 2019, all designated educational institutions (DEI) are required to file a T2202, which requires the student’s Social Insurance Number (SIN). The Income Tax Act (ITA) requires the DEI to make reasonable efforts to obtain the student’s SIN.  As per instructions from CRA, students who do not provide their SIN will have nine zeros defaulted in their T2202.

You must add your SIN by accessing your Student Personal Information record through the School of Continuing Studies student portal (SCS portal). Please note, you will need to add your Social Insurance Number (SIN) to your record by February 28, 2024 in order to receive your T2202 for the 2023 tax year.  Under no circumstances will staff accept a SIN over email.

  1. Sign in to the School of Continuing Studies Student Portal or contact IT Support if you are unable to sign in
  2. Select My Profile
  3. Scroll down to Social Insurance Number and enter your SIN
  4. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and select Save

For privacy reasons, any SIN information you previously saved will not be visible. Therefore, if you are unsure if the number saved in the SCS portal is correct, please re-enter in the SCS portal and save – the system will automatically overwrite any previous value with the most current information you save.

NOTE: Students that have taken courses at both the School of Continuing Studies and undergraduate or graduate degree courses at York University will need to provide their SIN through both the SCS portal and York University’s My Online Services portal.  As with prior years, this means you will have two separate tax receipts issued. 

If a Social Insurance Number (SIN) is not provided by February 28, the Form T2202 will be defaulted with nine zeros as per instruction of CRA.

For your own protection we will not accept Social Insurance Number (SIN) information by email.  Any SIN provided over email will be rejected and destroyed.

If you can’t remember your Social Insurance Number (SIN), please refer to the Canada.ca website for more information.

Follow the instructions on the login page if you forgot your password or username.  If you are still unsuccessful, please contact itscs@yorku.ca for login support.

You only need to provide your Social Insurance Number (SIN), if you intend to claim the tax credit for a personal Canadian Income Tax return.

The T2202 received this tax season covers the tuition amounts for courses completed in the 2023 calendar year. If you have courses that end in the following year, then you will receive an additional tax form in the next period to cover the tuition amounts paid for your studies outside of 2023.

Tax receipts for prior years are posted in the same location in the School of Continuing Studies Student Portal.

Tax receipts will be posted on February 28 of each year.

Sign in to the Student Portal and submit your SIN as a first step. Contact IT Support if you need help to sign in. Once you have submitted your SIN, complete this form to request an amendment. Requests for amendment, if approved, will be processed in 3-5 business days, and will continue to be processed until the end of the year for the current tax season.