An accelerated English for Academic Purposes program that offers conditional acceptance to more than 100 undergraduate programs*
Destination York is an 8-week pathway program that you can enrol in after applying to a degree program at York. Successful completion of Destination York fulfills the York U language entry requirement, with no test required (no IELTS or TOEFL). The program is taught by qualified instructors and features an innovative curriculum. Students enrolled in the program will also have access to support services.
*Please see York University’s Programs of Study for a full list: http://futurestudents.yorku.ca/program-search
Improve your academic reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills
Over the course of just 8 weeks, you will receive customized feedback to improve your language skills in the following areas:
- Listening to key ideas in lectures and presentations, note-taking, and analyzing academic readings
- Writing university academic-level research papers
- Critical thinking, time management, and teamwork
Timely Advising Services
Your academic success in the Destination York program is as important to us as your successful integration into York University afterwards. We ensure your pathway into York is as smooth as possible by providing access to undergraduate advising services, comprehensive information sessions with all faculties, and workshops that keep you informed of next steps.
The Destination York Program is designed to help high school graduates to prepare for study at York University in Toronto. This program focuses on the language skills required to succeed in York undergraduate courses. Graduating high school students who are eligible to join Destination York will be among a select group of high achievers who are motivated to improve their academic English skills.
- Program length: 8 weeks
- Class size: Approximately 16 students
- Classroom hours/week: 30 hours per week
- 3 start times per year timed to finish just prior to the start of the undergraduate term
- Fulfills the language entry requirement
- Access to support services
The program will run for 30 hours per week over 8 weeks. Typically, a 6 hour day will be split between advanced-level speaking, listening, reading and writing activities and content-based modules (academic discussion topics, readings and debates).*
* York University English Language Institute program classes will in most cases run according to the schedule noted. Based on program requirements and increased student registrations, some program schedules may need be shifted to evenings (5:45pm-10:45pm) and Saturdays.
- Previous education: High school graduate
- Language proficiency:
-IELTS: minimum 6 or TOEFL iBT: 79 or TOEFL paperNOTE: You can begin in our Academic Program at any level and transfer into Destination York after successful completion of AP7.
EL/3855 Destination York Program
Oct 29 – Dec 20, 2018
EL/3935 Destination York Program
Mar 04 – Apr 26, 2019
EL/3945 Destination York Program
Jul 2 – Aug 23, 2019
EL/3955 Destination York Program
Oct 28 – Dec 19, 2019
- Your credit card information is never received or stored by our system. Only your financial institution has access to your credit card information.
- Your Student Portal is password-protected. To access any personal and academic information, you must enter your username and portal password.
- Online: Available sessions
- Bank Transfers: Please contact the English Language Institute office if you intend to pay by bank transfer. Please be aware that most international bank transfers requests will be charged a bank transfer fee. Please ask your bank for details. Students are responsible to ensure the money they have sent to English Language Institute covers any bank transfer fees.
- Money Order: The Money Order should be made payable to York University. Please mail the original Money Order to our office at the following mailing address:
York University English Language Institute
Suite 035 Founders College
4700 Keele Street
M3J 1P3 CANADA
- English Language Institute Application Fee: $100.00 (one-time only, non-refundable) for new students.
- York University Application Fee: $100.00 (one-time only, non-refundable) to submit an application for York University undergraduate studies.
- Health Insurance (Emergency Medical coverage) is available for an additional cost of $100.00 (2 month program for IELTS 6.0) or $200.00 (4 month program for IELTS 5.5).
- Non-refundable deposit of $3,000.00 (2 month program) or $4,000.00 (4 month program) is required to complete your registration and receive a Letter of Acceptance.
If you are unable to join the first day of the course, please immediately contact us in order to find out the last possible day to attend the program. Attendance deadlines do apply.
*Fees subject to change
- Placement Fee: $200.00 (one-time only, non-refundable).
- You may apply for residence if you are between the ages of 18 and 29.
- Residence includes a meal plan.
Students and instructors are expected to maintain a professional relationship characterized by courtesy, collegiality and mutual respect and to refrain from actions that would be disruptive to such a relationship;
It is the responsibility of the instructor to maintain an appropriate academic atmosphere in the classroom and the responsibility of the student to cooperate in that endeavour; and,
The instructor is the best person to decide, in first instance, whether such an atmosphere is present in the class and may at their discretion, take steps that they feel are appropriate to resolve an issue or dispute.
In any case, where a student feels that this policy has been violated, they are urged to: notify the instructor of the course/program as soon as possible. Students may be asked to provide a detailed written description of their complaint to the instructor. The instructor may take measures they feel are appropriate to resolve the issue and/or may forward the complaint to the English Language Institute for review. Please refer to the full policy document on the York University website at: http://www.yorku.ca/scdr/