April 22, 2021 – Update for International Students on India and Pakistan Flight Suspension
This notice was sent to all students who have informed the School of Continuing Studies of plans to travel from the impacted region scheduled before the end of May 2021
Today, Canada announced new travel restrictions to help curb the spread of COVID-19.
Effective April 22, 2021 at 11:30pm (EDT), Canada has suspended all passenger flights from India and Pakistan for 30 days. Passengers who travel to Canada from India or Pakistan via an indirect route will need to obtain a pre-departure negative COVID-19 molecular test result from a third country before continuing their journey to Canada.
Earlier this month, Ontario announced a Provincial Emergency and Stay at Home Order in response to rising cases of COVID-19 in certain areas of the province, including Toronto.
We know this impacts your travel to Canada. Here is what you need to know right now:
Cancelling Quarantine Reservation:
- We will cancel your hotel reservation for your original check-in date. We encourage you to travel when it is safe to do so and look forward to welcoming you to Canada at that time.
- If you are not sure when you will be travelling yet, please fill out the Date of Arrival Change/Cancellation form and check “I have cancelled my plan to come to Canada”.
- Once you have a new travel date, please fill out the Quarantine Request Form again with your new travel information.
Changing your Travel Date:
- If you have a new travel date already, please fill out our Date of Arrival Change/Cancellation form. We will be very happy to change your reservation date once it is safe for you to travel again.
- We will cancel your GuardMe enrollment and enroll you once you have submitted a new Quarantine Request Form or an Arrival Change/Cancellation form with a new travel date.
- For general information about your policy and COVID-19 call: 1 905 752 6200 or toll-free 1-877-873-8447
- For claims inquires, use the Claim Assist line: 1-888-756-8428 or email at: email@example.com
- For up-to-date bulletins and answers to frequently-asked questions on COVID-19 and your insurance, visit http://www.guard.me
We know this is an incredibly disappointing development for all students travelling from these countries. Our hope is that COVID cases will decrease in the coming weeks and you are able to travel Canada at a time when it is much safer to do so.
You can still access all of York’s resources while studying remotely:
- York International will continue to hold virtual events for you to connect with other students, make new friends and be part of the York community
Mental Health and Wellness:
You can access York My Student Support Program (York My SSP) 24/7 by calling 1-844-451-9700. Outside of North America, call 001-416-380-6578.
York provides students with real-time and/or appointment-based confidential, 24-hour support for any school, health, or general life concern at no cost to you. You can call or chat with a counsellor directly from your phone whenever, wherever you are.
Ongoing support is available over the phone in 146 languages. Immediate support is available over the phone in 35 languages and over chat in simplified Chinese, English, French and Spanish.
Download the My SSP app: Apple App Store | Google Play
Immigration & International Student Support:
- For questions about immigration, study permits, work permits and more, email firstname.lastname@example.org to speak to one of our licensed immigration specialists or book an appointment directly.
- For the latest information on quarantine, visit our Quarantine Info Page.
We will continue to update you as the travel situation changes.
Wishing you and your loved ones health and safety in this difficult time
School of Continuing Studies