The York University Emergency Bursary aims to assist registered York University students with unanticipated financial hardship due to COVID-19 during the period March 1 to April 30, 2020.
The Emergency Bursary will help to provide immediate short-term relief for unexpected expenses related to emergency housing, rent, food and other costs due to COVID-19. It is not intended as a source of long-term funding.
Deadline: May 31, 2020
Value: Up to $1,500 CDN
All School of Continuing Studies students (domestic and international) who are currently enrolled in courses running between March 1 and April 30, 2020.
1. Housing and accommodations
- Local rent payments that cannot be met as a result of COVID-19.
- Unanticipated expenses incurred by international students who are remaining in Canada due to travel restrictions and border closures of their home countries.
2. Meals and living expenses
- Additional food and living costs associated with COVID-19 related measures.
3. Health care and medical expenses
- COVID-19 related medical expenses above are what are covered through OHIP or GuardMe.
4. Other extenuating circumstances
- Additional accommodation or living expenses for students who had to extend/break their lease agreements or make other living arrangements as a direct result of COVID-19 (documentation includes lease agreement and/or rent receipt.)
- Additional transportation costs.
- Additional family and childcare costs.
- Applicants must complete all sections of the form. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- Include a personal statement in the application that outlines how you have been financially impacted by COVID-19.
- Attach all relevant supporting documentation such as receipts for additional rent, proof of loss of employment (e.g. letter/email from employer or Record of Employment) and two recent pay stubs.
It is expected that prior to applying for this Emergency Bursary, students will have explored all sources of funding such as family support, savings and study period income, other government assistance programs, daycare subsidies, bank lines of credit, as appropriate. The School has allocated a total amount of $50,000 towards the Emergency Bursary program.
If you are a York University English Language Institute (YUELI) student who has received a conditional offer of admission into a York University undergraduate degree, please select “YUELI Pathway” as your Faculty. For all other YUELI and School of Continuing Studies programs, please select “School of Continuing Studies”.
Processing Times and Receipt of Funds
Applications will be reviewed on May 31, 2020. Please allow three to five (3 to 5) business days for your bursary application to be assessed by York University. While payments will be issued as quickly as possible, it may take longer than 5-6 weeks under the current circumstances.