Immigration: FAQs

Initial Study Permit and Entry Visa/eTA

A study permit is required for any program that is over 6 months. The process can be quite lengthy, so you should start your application as soon as you receive your letter of acceptance. If you are taking an ESL program as a pre-requisite to a degree program at York, you should apply for a study permit before coming to Canada even if your ESL program is 6 months or less. You will also need a visa or eTA to come to Canada. When you apply for your study permit from outside Canada, you will be issued a visa/eTA if your study permit is approved.

Working On/Off Campus

As a study permit holder, your priority must be on succeeding in your courses. However, if you are eligible and able to manage your time well, you may also work either on campus, off campus or both. To be eligible to work on campus, you must be in a full-time program, have a valid study permit that allows you to work on-campus and/or off-campus and have a valid Social Insurance Number. To work off campus, you must meet all of these requirements plus be in a program that is at least 6 months long and leads to a certificate, degree or diploma. You cannot start working until your program has started. It is your responsibility to make sure you do not exceed the limit to the number of hours you can work.

Extending your Study Permit and Visa

If you need more time on your study permit to finish your program or to obtain the documents you need for a PGWP application (bridging extension), you should apply to extend your study permit. We recommend you apply to extend your study permit 3 months in advance. As long as you apply to extend your study permit before its expiry, you will have “maintained status” until a decision is made on your application. This means you can continue to study (and work) under the conditions of your study permit while you wait for a decision. When you are inside Canada, it is a two-step process to get a new study permit and visa. You must apply to extend your study permit first. Once you have the new study permit, you can apply for a visa in much the same way. NOTE: IRCC will not issue documents beyond your passport validity. If your passport is expiring, we recommend you renew it 6 months in advance if possible. You will need to contact your nearest consulate/embassy to find out how to renew your passport.

Post-Graduation Work Permit

After you have graduated, you may be eligible for a post-graduation work permit. This work permit is a once in a lifetime opportunity for you to get some Canadian work experience. It may also provide you with the opportunity to gain the work experience required for permanent residency in Canada. The length of your PGWP depends on your program length. If your program is between 8 months and 2 years long, you would be eligible for a PGWP of up to the same length. If your program is 2 years or longer, you would be eligible for up to 3 years of PGWP.