The York University English Language Institute’s International Business and Intercultural Communications (IBIC) program is an intensive three-week immersion in the Canadian business world for international undergraduate students, designed in collaboration with the Schulich School of Business, ranked the top MBA School in Canada.
Acquire business knowledge and skills through a mixed-format program, including English language classes in Canadian and international business, guest lectures from industry leaders, offsite visits to leading Canadian companies, “Topics in Canadian Business” conversation sessions and intercultural communication workshops.
Classes are taught by experienced business language instructors, and the “Topics in Canadian Business” conversation sessions will be led by student learning facilitators from the York University Schulich School of Business. Instruction and classroom activities focus on all language skill areas, including reading, writing, listening and speaking, to make you a strong communicator in the world of business.
The program targets specific academic and business-related skills, such as analyzing business case studies, group discussions, role-plays, researching business topics, writing business reports, working in teams, participating in interviews and making business presentations.
You will also explore local attractions and sites such as a day trip to Niagara Falls, seeing a Toronto Blue Jays baseball game or going up the CN Tower. These trips are led by our student Community Leaders, giving you a chance to put what you’ve learned in the classroom into practice in the real world.
- Graduated from high school
- At least 18 years old
- Successful low-intermediate/intermediate language placement test score OR IELTS 5.0 OR TOEFL iBT 64 OR TOEFL CBT 180 is strongly recommended
- Program runs for 3 weeks
- Visits to leading Canadian companies and guest lectures from industry leaders
- Canadian & International Business Practices Hours: 36.5 hours
- Intercultural Communications: 15 hours
- Schulich Business English Facilitator Topics in Canadian Business Sessions: 15 hours
- Total: 70 hours
- Social and cultural activities/events in and around Toronto, led by English-speaking Canadian students
- Held in August of each year
University Life, a range of co-curricular activities designed to provide a balanced program of in- and out-of-classroom learning, includes:
- Orientation to the York University campus
- Access to self-study facilities available for use before and after class
- Conversation Partners
- Daily student-led discussion sessions
- Campus activities that will bring students into contact with other members of the York community
- York Admissions advising sessions
- Workshops on university life skills, including topics such as time management skills, applying for admission, and testing strategies
- York English Language Test (Levels AP7-AP9 only)
- Attendance at university lectures (Levels AP6-AP9 only)
An e-mail account, internet and library access, textbooks and limited printing and photocopying services are included in the tuition fee.
A visit to the CN Tower, Niagara Falls, an NBA game, a Soccer Club, and a Games Club are examples of s the many trips, clubs, and activities available to English Language students.
You are at least 18 years old*
*If you are under 18, you still may be eligible. Contact the English Language Institute to confirm.
There are no upcoming dates for this program at present. Please check again later or request further information below.
- Your credit card information is never received or stored by our system. Only your financial institution has access to your credit card information.
- Your Student Portal is password-protected. To access any personal and academic information, you must enter your username and portal password.
- Online: Available sessions
- Bank Transfers: Please contact the English Language Institute if you intend to pay by bank transfer. Please be aware that most international bank transfers requests will be charged a bank transfer fee. Please ask your bank for details. Students are responsible to ensure the money they have sent to English Language Institute covers any bank transfer fees.
- Money Order: The Money Order should be made payable to York University. Please mail the original Money Order to our office at the following mailing address:
York University English Language Institute
Suite 035 Founders College
4700 Keele Street
M3J 1P3 CANADA
- English Language Institute Application Fee: $60.00 (one-time only, non-refundable) for new students.
- Tuition fee (each 3-week session): $1,890
- Basic Medical Insurance: $35
- Airport pick-up: $90
- Activities: $420
If you are unable to join the first day of the course, please immediately contact us in order to find out the last possible day to attend the program. Attendance deadlines do apply.
*Fees subject to change
- Residence, NO meal plan (3 weeks): $865.00
- You may apply for residence if you are between the ages of 18 and 29.
Students and instructors are expected to maintain a professional relationship characterized by courtesy, collegiality and mutual respect and to refrain from actions that would be disruptive to such a relationship;
In any case, where a student feels that this policy has been violated, they are urged to: notify the instructor of the course/program as soon as possible. Students may be asked to provide a detailed written description of their complaint to the instructor. The instructor may take measures they feel are appropriate to resolve the issue and/or may forward the complaint to the English Language Institute for review. Please refer to the full policy document on the York University website at: http://www.yorku.ca/scdr/