Get ready for your MBA or Master’s studies in just 8 weeks
The MBA/Specialized Masters Preparation Program will help you prepare for graduate studies in business by advancing your English language proficiency in reading, writing, listening, and speaking skill areas, targeting graduate-level
academic and real-world business contexts.
Develop the skills needed to be effective in a North American MBA or graduate-level business study program
The MBA/Specialized Masters Preparation Program is a full-time English course for students with suitable English-language proficiency (see the requirements below)
who wish to further improve their language skills to meet graduate-level business study standards.
As a graduate of this program, you will be equipped with the English language skills needed to apply to the MBA program oranother master’s-level program at York University’s Schulich School of Business (Canada’s top business school) or to a
graduate-level business program at another top-tier university.
Intensive language study is delivered through business-related projects, field trips, and guest speakers from the Canadian business world, ensuring a learning experience with a
You will gain confidence as you work independently and in teams to conduct research, review case studies, analyze economic and financial data, draft a written report,
participate in networking and interview situations, and deliver a presentation to evaluators from York University’s Schulich School of Business.
Explore the city while you study
English-speaking Canadian students (Community Leaders) lead social and cultural activities in and around Toronto, helping you practice conversational English in a stimulating environment and make the most of your Canadian experience.
Prepare for a successful Master in Business Administration in English
Over 8 weeks, prepare for graduate studies in business by raising your proficiency in reading, writing, listening and speaking English in a business context.
Prepare for success in your Master in Finance
The Pre-MFin Program is committed to building your academic reading, writing, listening and speaking skills as they apply to a business context. The program is in two parts, the Pre-MFin itself and the Business Master’s Adjunct Program (BMAP).
- 4 hours of instruction daily
- Held twice a year in July/August and November/December
- Social and cultural activities and events in and around Toronto, led by English-speaking Canadian students
- Orientation to the York University campus
- Access to self-study facilities available for use before and after class
- Conversation Partners
- Daily student-led discussion sessions
- Campus activities that will bring students into contact with other members of the York community
- York Admissions advising sessions
- Workshops on university life skills, including topics such as time management skills, applying for admission, and testing strategies
- York English Language Test (Levels AP7-AP9 only)
- Attendance at university lectures (Levels AP6-AP9 only)
- Previous education: An undergraduate degree and have met ONE of the following
English-language proficiency requirements below.
- Language Proficiency:
-IELTS: minimum score 6.5 overall with no more than one component at 6.0
-TOEFL: minimum score 560 (paper), 220 (computer), or 87 (iBT)
- AP9 completion with honours or distinction
- YUELI Graduate Studies Preparation Program (GSPP): successful completion of GSPP
Term 1 with a recommendation to the MBA/Specialized Master’s Preparation Program from GSPP instructors
Over 3 weeks in July, the Pre-MFin focuses intensively on developing your English language and academic business culture skills. The program content is based on authentic material from the world of finance.
Each Pre-MFin class integrates reading, writing, critical analysis skills and presentation skills. It also provides plenty of opportunities to improve communications skills that are key to academic and career success.
In the second part of the Pre-MFin Program starting in September, you will begin the BMAP.
Together, the Pre-MFin/BMAP package strives to enhance your skills and prepare you for success. The program also builds your confidence to exceed expectations in your Master’s studies and life-long career goals.
Program length: 8 weeks in 2 four-week stages
Class size: Approximately 16 students
Classroom hours/week: 20 hours
Program length: 3 weeks
Class size: Approximately 16 students
Classroom hours/week: 30 hours
6 hours/day – 4 morning hours, 2 afternoon hours
Mainly supports 1-year Master’s of Finance students
Classroom hours/week: 3 hours
September to February
An adjunct program – for PreMFin students when they start the Master’s of Finance program at Schulich
University Life, a range of co-curricular activities designed to provide a balanced program of in- and out-of-classroom learning, includes:
An e-mail account, internet and library access, textbooks and limited printing and photocopying services are included in the tuition fee.
A visit to the CN Tower, Niagara Falls, an NBA game, a Soccer Club, and a Games Club are examples of s the many trips, clubs, and activities available to English Language students.
There are no upcoming dates for this program at present. Please check again later or request further information below.
- Your credit card information is never received or stored by our system. Only your financial institution has access to your credit card information.
- Your Student Portal is password-protected. To access any personal and academic information, you must enter your username and portal password.
- Online: Available sessions
- Bank Transfers: Please contact the English Language Institute if you intend to pay by bank transfer. Please be aware that most international bank transfers requests will be charged a bank transfer fee. Please ask your bank for details. Students are responsible to ensure the money they have sent to English Language Institute covers any bank transfer fees.
- Money Order: The Money Order should be made payable to York University. Please mail the original Money Order to our office at the following mailing address:
York University English Language Institute
Suite 035 Founders College
4700 Keele Street
M3J 1P3 CANADA
- English Language Institute Application Fee: $200.00 (one-time only, non-refundable) for new students.
- Tuition (each 8-week session): $4,350.00
- Health Insurance (Emergency Medical coverage) is available for an additional cost of $100.00.
- Non-refundable deposit of $1,000.00 is required to complete your registration and receive a Letter of Acceptance.
If you are unable to join the first day of the course, please immediately contact us in order to find out the last possible day to attend the program. Attendance deadlines do apply.
*Fees subject to change
- Placement Fee: $200.00 (one-time only, non-refundable).
- Residence, NO meal plan (8 weeks): $1,750.00
- Homestay, (8 weeks): $1,760.00
- You may apply for residence if you are between the ages of 18 and 29.
In any case, where a student feels that this policy has been violated, they are urged to: notify the instructor of the course/program as soon as possible. Students may be asked to provide a detailed written description of their complaint to the instructor. The instructor may take measures they feel are appropriate to resolve the issue and/or may forward the complaint to the English Language Institute for review. Please refer to the full policy document on the York University website at: http://www.yorku.ca/scdr/