Prepare for successful MBA or Specialized Master’s studies in English
Practice skills needed to be effective in North American MBA and graduate-level business. This program is for students with suitable English-language proficiency who wish to further improve their language skills to meet MBA standards. As a graduate of this program, you will be able to apply to the MBA program at the Schulich School of Business, recently ranked Canada’s top MBA school, or other master’s-level business programs.
Intensive language study is delivered through business-related projects, field trips and guest speakers from the Canadian business world to give your learning a real-world edge.
Gain confidence as you work in a team to conduct research, analyze economic and financial data, draft a written report, and deliver an oral presentation to evaluators
from York University’s Schulich School of Business.
English-speaking Canadian students lead social and cultural activities in and around Toronto, helping you practice conversational English in a relaxed environment and make the most of your Canadian experience.
Prepare for a successful Master in Business Administration and studies in English
Over 8 weeks, prepare for graduate studies in business by raising your proficiency in reading, writing, listening and speaking English in a business context.
Program length: 8 weeks in 2 four-week stages
Class size: Approximately 16 students
Classroom hours/week: 20 hours
- Four hours of instruction daily
- Held twice a year in July/August and November/December
- Social and cultural activities and events in and around Toronto, led by English-speaking Canadian students
Prepare for success in your Master in Finance
The Pre-MFin Program is committed to building your academic reading, writing, listening and speaking skills as they apply to a business context. The program is in two parts, the Pre-MFin itself and the Business Master’s Adjunct Program (BMAP).
Over three weeks in July, the Pre-MFin focuses intensively on developing your English language and academic business culture skills. The program content is based on authentic material from the world of finance.
Each Pre-MFin class integrates reading, writing, critical analysis skills and presentation skills. It also provides plenty of opportunities to improve communications skills that are key to academic and career success.
Program length: 3 weeks
Class size: Approximately 16 students
Classroom hours/week: 30 hours
Six hours/day – 4 morning hours, 2 afternoon hours
Mainly supports one-year Master’s of Finance students
In the second part of the Pre-MFin Program starting in September, you will begin the BMAP.
Together, the Pre-MFin/BMAP package strives to enhance your skills and prepare you for success. The program also builds your confidence to exceed expectations in your Master’s studies and life-long career goals.
Classroom hours/week: 3 hours
September to February
An adjunct program – for PreMFin students when they start the Master’s of Finance program at Schulich
You are eligible to apply for this program if you have completed an undergraduate degree and obtained one of the following English-language test scores:
- TOEFL: minimum score 560 (paper), 220 (computer), or 87 (iBT)
- IELTS: minimum score 6.5 overall with no more than one component at 6.0
- If you have not attained the scores above, completion of one of the York University English Language Institute programs listed below will meet the English-language test score requirement:
- Academic Program: Level 9 (with honours or distinction)
- Completion of GSPP Term I, with the recommendation of GSPP instructors
- York English Language Test (YELT): minimum Band 3
Ray Bennett, M.E.S., TESL
Ray has taught and designed curricula for English language learners and instructors in Canada, China, Sri Lanka, Mongolia, Mexico, and the Palestinian Territories. He has also presented at several international conferences, most recently on professional development for internationally based English language instructors. He enjoys most the opportunity to exchange ideas and experiences with students and fellow instructors, while creating positive teaching-learning environments where he can learn as well as teach.
Dana Lynch, BA, MA, TESL Ontario Post-Graduate Certificate
Dana has taught in language schools and post-secondary institutions in South Korea and Canada. He has also presented at local and international conferences. He enjoys learning about the various aspects of his students’ countries and cultures and is also interested in assisting his students to become autonomous language learners.
|Summer 2018||EL/3870 MBA/Specialized Master’s Preparation Program (Jul 03 – Aug 24, 2018)||$4,450.00||Apply|
EL/3870 MBA/Specialized Master’s Preparation Program (Jul 09 – 27, 2018)
Master’s of Finance Stream
|Fall 2018||EL/3880 MBA/Specialized Master’s Preparation Program (Oct 29 – Dec 20, 2018)||$4,450.00||Apply|
- Your credit card information is never received or stored by our system. Only your financial institution has access to your credit card information.
- Your Student Portal is password-protected. To access any personal and academic information, you must enter your username and portal password.
- Online: Available sessions
- Bank Transfers: Please contact the English Language Institute if you intend to pay by bank transfer. Please be aware that most international bank transfers requests will be charged a bank transfer fee. Please ask your bank for details. Students are responsible to ensure the money they have sent to English Language Institute covers any bank transfer fees.
- Money Order: The Money Order should be made payable to York University. Please mail the original Money Order to our office at the following mailing address:
York University English Language Institute
Suite 035 Founders College
4700 Keele Street
M3J 1P3 CANADA
- English Language Institute Application Fee: $200.00 (one-time only, non-refundable) for new students.
- Tuition (each 8-week session): $4,350.00
- Health Insurance (Emergency Medical coverage) is available for an additional cost of $100.00.
- Non-refundable deposit of $1,000.00 is required to complete your registration and receive a Letter of Acceptance.
If you are unable to join the first day of the course, please immediately contact us in order to find out the last possible day to attend the program. Attendance deadlines do apply.
*Fees subject to change
- Placement Fee: $200.00 (one-time only, non-refundable).
- Residence, NO meal plan (8 weeks): $1,750.00
- Homestay, (8 weeks): $1,760.00
- You may apply for residence if you are between the ages of 18 and 29.
In any case, where a student feels that this policy has been violated, they are urged to: notify the instructor of the course/program as soon as possible. Students may be asked to provide a detailed written description of their complaint to the instructor. The instructor may take measures they feel are appropriate to resolve the issue and/or may forward the complaint to the English Language Institute for review. Please refer to the full policy document on the York University website at: http://www.yorku.ca/scdr/