- School of Continuing Studies - http://continue.yorku.ca -


Posted By Crisdelis Rodriguez On June 12, 2015 @ 2:13 pm

Do I need a Visa or Study Permit?

If you are planning to study in Canada for less than six months, you may enter the country as a visitor. Visitors from some countries [1] will need a Temporary Resident Visa to enter Canada. If you are planning to study in Canada for more than six months, you will need to obtain a Study Permit for your period of study.

Before arriving in Canada

  • Temporary Resident Visa: [5]
    Students are advised to visit the Citizenship and Immigration website to determine if they need a Temporary Resident Visa to enter Canada for studies of 6 months or less.
  • Study Permit: [6]
    Students intending to study in Canada for more than 6 months will be required to obtain a Study Permit. The English Language Institute will issue a Letter of Acceptance for students studying in any full-time English language program. This letter can be submitted when applying for a Temporary Resident Visa or a Study Permit.

Please visit the Government of Canada website [7] for all updated information referring to Visas and Study Permits.


Article printed from School of Continuing Studies: http://continue.yorku.ca

URL to article: http://continue.yorku.ca/english-language-institute/about/resources/immigration/

URLs in this post:

[1] some countries: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

[2] Citizenships and Immigration Canada: http://www.cic.gc.ca

[3] Visa Offices: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/index.asp

[4] Working in Canada: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work.asp

[5] Temporary Resident Visa:: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/index.asp

[6] Study Permit:: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study.asp

[7] Government of Canada website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/index.asp

Copyright © 2014 School of Continuing Studies. All rights reserved.